Jesus for Everyone

This blog is to supplement the current teaching series through the Gospel of Luke at Beaverton Foursquare Church, in Beaverton, Oregon. We are providing weekly self-study/digging deeper questions for those desiring to go beyond the scope of the sermon in your exploration of the complete passage. We are also providing links to the sermon introduction videos filmed for this series on-location in Israel. Our prayer is that we can better learn how to live and love like Jesus this year!

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Luke series back on line next week! "Back-to-school" Devotional

Get your vacation in now... as we plan to return to our series from the Gospel of Luke on August 26th! In the mean time, there is a new post this week on the Luke SOAP journaling blog at http://b4lukejournal.blogspot.com/

If you are looking for some casual reading to do while on vacation, take an hour and read through the first thirteen chapters of Luke as a review as well as preparation for the next season of Jesus for Everyone! Look for repeated themes evident in Jesus' words, as well as the narrative structure and events. How does this gospel connect with different groups of people?

Here is another classic bulletin devotional for you this week:


"Back to School"

It’s been many years since I was last in school, yet still, each year when autumn approaches I feel a mental and emotional quickening. I can sense that it's Back-to-School time. I like the fun and the freedom of summer, but there is something invigorating about heading into autumn. And this fall, I am literally going back in school! The signs that the casual, laid-back, easygoing days of summer are drawing to a close are obvious.

·         People scrambling to take last minute vacations.
·         Young men gathering on football fields for conditioning and two-a-day practices.
·         Parents taking their children to the mall for new school clothes.
·         Supermarkets sculpting mountains of school supplies into prominent displays.
·         School bus drivers practicing their new routes swirling crispy leaves in their wake.

The transition from summer to school is, for many, quite an adjustment. One of the hardest things for me was that it meant that my days were no longer my own—I had to live my life by the schedule the school district set for me. Ironically, that was also one of the most rewarding aspects about going back to school. By the end of August, I was usually pretty bored and (though I wouldn't have admitted it) really looked forward to the challenging and purposeful pattern of the fall. I think that the same is true in the spiritual realm. Living unto ourselves is not fulfilling. It's hard to rearrange our days and live according to someone else's timetable, but, when it's God's schedule to which we conform our lives it's the most fulfilling thing we can do!

It seems as though the signs of the times and the Word of God corroborate that the easy days of our long spiritual summer are drawing to a close. The Lord is calling his children “back-to-school.”  Is your heart beginning to sense that we are entering a new season in Christ? That there are new things He wants us to learn, a new schedule He is calling us to follow, and new spiritual disciplines He is suggesting that we begin to practice more diligently? According to His Word, He is calling us to gather together (Hebrews 10:25), to begin to condition ourselves in the Word and in prayer (2 Timothy 2:15), to put on our new school clothes (2 Corinthians 5:1-4; 1 Peter 5:5) and gather the supplies we will need (Philippians 4:19). 

It is to my benefit that I enthusiastically submit my life to the Lord's back-to-school schedule, even if it means some early mornings and some late nights. I am reminded that:

·         I have wasted enough time living for myself the way the ungodly do (1 Peter 4:3-4).
·         I have been redeemed with a price (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).
·         I am no longer my own (Romans 14:7-8).
·         I have been given a great and purposeful commission (Matthew 28:18-20).
·         I need to be redeem the time (Ephesians 5:15-17), bear good fruit (John 15:8), and be alert, ready, and dressed for my Lord's return (Luke 12:46; Romans 13:11-12).

                                           Waiting expectantly for the school bus,

                                                            Pastor Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment